I. Oh, God, the Frida Kahlo exhibit. My reactions as follows:
A. It was the first time in my life I felt as though I'd understood the art. Really understood it. And with all the biography/tidbits about Kahlo's life--I was walking around this woman's mind and her emotional state while I was receiving facts about her and looking at photographs.
B. My favorites: The Two Fridas, Henry Ford Hospital, The Broken Column, The Love Embrace of the Universe.
C. Art is ultimately not an objective experience but a subjective experience. For the artist and the audience.
D. Whenever I'd seen pictures of Frida Kahlo before, I always thought she looked so--extreme. The eyebrows and the ethnic wear at a time when everyone tried/tries to imitate Western culture. And I kept looking at her self-portraits and her photographs very closely: Did you see yourself beautiful, Frida? Even when your husband was leaving you?
Maybe the problem I had with her looks was that she looked so masculine. Being masculine isn't a bad thing except when you look it, I guess.
I don't know. I want to keep looking at her face, because the more I look the prettier she seems to get, or at least-- she is interesting, her face is interesting. And I've always had issues with the way I looked, particularly my eyes, which were like the ultimate Asian stereotype, and I've always vaguely had the idea that someday I might "fix" them, but now I feel, more and more, that to do something like that, to change myself like that, would be the ultimate betrayal. I think I want to be a woman the way Frida Kahlo was a woman.
E. I should go to the art museum more often.
II. I hate walking in the rain when I'm not, you know, in the mood to walk in the rain.
III. Chinese takeout: Shrimp w/ broccoli should be renamed Broccoli w/ the occasional shrimp. Hey, I am angry.
IV. I like someone I wish I didn't like because I know it would never, ever work and all I'm going to feel for a while is unsettled, angry, jealous, and a little sad. Am an idiot, doncha know.
Edit: Jimmy is spilling me his life secrets via aim. am flattered and uneasy. surely apocalpyse is near etc etc.
Friday, May 16, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
You are right about the anime convention. I never thought about it like that.
I like your revelations. I'm glad you feel the way you do, actually.
Who is this man that has stolen your heart? It won't be too bad. At least it isn't incestuous this time, right?
Don't be uneasy with Jimmy. He spills like water. Mop him up. It might be fun talking to him for awhile. Maybe it'll do you some good. Just don't try to be his friend because if you take a step back you'll realize you don't want to be.
But the mustache really bothers me because I have this mustache thing goin' on and I would definitely omit that part if I were to paint myself. The fact that she always includes it so clearly makes me insecure and jealous.
Shaolin Soccer IS Chinese. The only thing it has in common with God of Cookery is Stephen Chow.
Ah, do you have a hot brother too? Since I've given up on Julia's, I'll check yours out next.
I want to be Xabi Alonso.
Post a Comment