Thursday, July 22, 2010

sweltering in the heat, shivering in the cold

As the title implies, many times I´m usually either way too hot or way too cold. Either we´re walking outside in the sun and the heat just rises up and envelops you all over, or we´re meeting in la sala (the meeting room) with the AC on so hard that you can see the cool air blowing in the room and everyone´s clutching their arms and shivering.

But we should be fortunate we have AC, so I won´t complain too much about that.

Tomorrow we´re getting up really early to eat breakfast, at 6 in the morning, and then we´re going to a cultural festival in a little town! So I´m excited for that. Also excited to eat some authentic Costa Rican food for lunch, not the whatever´s cheap that we make in the dorm.

OH! Today I helped B make the plantains for lunch. Now I know how to fry them. I´m going to make some when I go home. Well, first I´m going to find and buy some plantains. Then I´m going to eat them with our normal dinner. I´ll eat like a mix of American-Korean-Latin American food at home. I also have to learn how to make gallo pinto, or rice with beans (I think that´s what it is?). I´m getting ridiculously fond of it.

Also I had a really bad night last night, in an incident that involved me, the room key, a locked door, my roommate, and some tears. I don´t know if I want to explain it here, but I talked about it plenty with some other volunteers and wrote about it in my journal. I was really upset, but I got so much love and support from the others. I´m so fortunate; there are some truly amazing people on this team.

P.S. Boa is behind me reading the latest chapter of Naruto online. We had a really serious talk about Naruto on our way here. Love this kid.

2 comments:

K said...

I LOVE fried plantains. My mom covers them in doughiness and fries them. I think I like doughiness most.


I can't believe you have AC. I think I would rather they give me luxurious food to eat all day. But that is just my greedy self speaking.

Did you get locked out of your room?

tofu_thief said...

You have to teach me how to make fried plantains!!!! I can´t believe I lived so long without eating them with rice.

I can´t believe we have AC either. Also our rooms have fans. WHAT LUXURY.

The food is surprisingly good. Like it´s simple food, usually. But I don´t get tired of it. Also I´m really hungry so that helps.

Yeah, we got locked out of our rooms for a night. I slept on an air mattress in someone else´s room and we sat around and talked about things and life and etc.