Monday, July 19, 2010

playa hermosa is, well, hermosa

So yesterday we went to the beach.

It was awesome, even if it rained suddenly a bit in the middle, we had to wake up earlier in order to go, the bus was almost an hour late coming back, and then we had less than thirty minutes for ALL of us to take showers and get ready for meetings and making visuals for our first day of visiting schools tomorrow, that is, today.

But the beach was so awesome. Also I had some feminine problems, ahem, and couldn´t actually go in the water. Instead I explored one side of the beach in the morning with a couple girls, came back, ran into B, who was sitting huddled there all wet. I actually almost didn´t recognize him at first. Then we got to talking and then, for some reason or other, we decided that the best thing to do was to bury him in the sand.

So Nellie and I buried him in the sand, near shore. It was low tide so he wouldn´t drown lying there. What was wonderful was that the other volunteers kept coming by and stopped to laugh and then HELP. So in the beginning we had a sandy tomb for him, then Juan Luis stopped to scoop sand and make enormous breasts, then we decided that B was a mermaid, then Tati made him a tail, then we drew patterns on it. Also at one point Roberto stopped by to pretend to have sex with B. (Yuby is looking at pictures later. Boanerges: He took advantage of me! Yuby: (looking at him grinning in the picture) But you liked it.)

By the end it was like a work of art. At one point I was just pushing together lumps of sand, and thinking to myself that I was just so happy. Like at that moment, for a couple minutes. I felt reallyy happy.

Later Nellie and Boanerges and I set off for the caves he told us about earlier, the ones he said he used to explore as a kid. That was also fun. Lots of rocks. We didn´t actually get to the caves. We took a lot of pictures though.

Today we went to our first school. It was nervewracking for me. I met kids I couldn´t understand. I met kids I could understand. It was all so new and scary and exciting and wonderful. More on that later.

2 comments:

K said...

I am glad you are having fun. It was beginning to sound like one of those childhood stories of some kid growing up on some remote island with his pets and few close friends. But then he grows up and moves to the mainland. Something like that.

The teaching sounds exciting. Be sure to update on you teaching things. I want to learn. When you come back, teach me some Spanish. I have to know some if I will marry a Spanish man. Why have I not realized it sooner?

tofu_thief said...

You have a very vivid imagination.

The teaching is interesting, and I want to talk about it but then I get distracted by things like R´s incredibly confusing mix of older authoritative masculinity and affectionate gayness and moments of deep thought and philosophical thinking.

Also other ridiculous things that go on that distract me from talking about the teaching. I will get around to it!

I´ll teach you some Spanish. But my Spanish is not that great. AHAHAHA marry a Spanish man okay. Invite me over, let me stay at your house on the beach. Make sure you live in southern Spain ok.