Tuesday, July 27, 2010

1. Today we went to Capulín for the last time (I think)... it´s a school that´s close by to the resi, only about 15 minutes on foot. We taught one lesson, and then spent the next hour or so raking leaves. Then they fed us lunch, which was a pleasant surprise because I hate the peanut butter and jelly/tuna and mashed bean sandwiches we´ve been eating at the schools or on trips. Then we cleaned the rooms and helped move some desks around.

So we don´t just teach, we help clean the classrooms too! I wouldn´t have minded except that my flats were killing my feet.

2. Some Costa Rican words:
A. Mae-- apprently it means tonto, or stupid, but in an affectionate way for friends. I hear this ALL THE TIME. Once Boa was talking during dinner to Fabian and Melanie turned to him and said, Can you even say a sentence without the word ¨mae¨? That common.
B. Pura vida-- apparently it´s some kind of greeting. It translates to... pure life?

3. The other day I hung out with Boa, Nellie, and Yuby in the bakery section of the supermarket Jumbo and we ate flan de coco and I took pictures.

4. We´re in Week 3 of the program and I´m already terrified of missing the people here! What if I never see them again in my life? I feel like I´ve made good friendships. In the beginning, all I wanted to do was to leave and hurry home. Now, I just want to stay in Central America.

Melanie and Thelma and Liza, the other American volunteers, are telling me to change my departure date with them and stay in Costa Rica for a couple more days, going to San José or to some more beaches. I don´t know. I really want to though.

2 comments:

K said...

Ahh, of course of course. Now you are going to miss Costa Rica so so much when you come back. I knew you were going to love it there.

mae: that is so cute :) When I read that, I for some reason thought of Fruits Basket and baka neko. Haha but really, bring back some of that lingo and we'll explore.

pura vida: that is an interesting meaning to a greeting.

Are you going to stay?

Unknown said...

I'm glad you're having such a great time. I knew you'd be fine. :D

But...

YOU MUST COME BACK!!!
You can't stay there forever.
You can't leave me alone in Japan with you-know-who. T.T

However, staying a couple of extra days sounds awesome! ^^

Just make sure you are back before September 6th missy. ;)