Tonight I talked to Minjoonie Oppa for an hour and nineteen minutes.
1.) His English is pretty good. I just couldn't hear him very well because of the static-- I don't know if it was the phone or the ocean between us that's making the connection all choppy.
2) He taught me the curse words/slang his teachers had taught him.
3) "I envy you."/ "Why?"/ "Because you speak 2 languages."
4) "Do you remember the white mice we had?"
5) He's nervous about asking me questions in English, he said, because he didn't want to offend some American sensibility or make a cultural faux pas. Like what? I asked. Like do you have a boyfriend? he said. Who're you going to practice English with if not with me? I said, reasonably. You're right, he said.
6) He has this cute self-deprecating laugh.
7) I don't know if he enjoyed talking to me or not. Like, I don't know if he wanted to know about me as much as I wanted to know about me.
8) "You have a lot of friends?"/ "I have friends."/ "So you have black friends..."/ "I have black friends and white friends and Chinese friends, yeah."
9) I don't know if he likes me or not. That makes me anxious. I want him to like me. He used to love me. He used to love me because he was an only child. But he forgot about our white mice.
(I want him to love me as much as I'm determined to love him.)
10) Several times I had to stop myself during the conversation, wondering, This isn't flirting, right?
Wednesday, February 6, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
this reminds me of a sweet childhood story... you could write something very beautiful with this...
something about the white mice that you once had, the white mice that he has forgotten.
It must be a really complicated relationship.
Post a Comment